Should I pull out after a bad survey?
Usually not straight away. A bad survey is a list of questions, not a verdict. I’m Ben Murrell, a builder for nearly 30 years, and most “scary” surveys I read come down to three or four items that need pricing properly. Here is how I’d decide between going ahead, renegotiating and walking away, before you exchange.
Last updated September 2026 · England and Wales
First: how worried should you be?
RICS surveys are written to be careful, and that’s their job. A Level 2 or Level 3 report on a house of any age will list things. The question isn’t “is there anything wrong?” but “is any of this big, urgent or unknown?” I read reports in this order:
- Condition Rating 3 (red). Serious or urgent defects. These are the ones that can move a price.
- “Further investigation recommended”. Each one is a job to book before exchange: a drain CCTV survey, an electrical test, a structural engineer. Until it’s done, that item is an unknown.
- Anything that affects the lender or insurer. Suspected movement, spray foam in the roof, missing sign-offs. These can stop a mortgage, whatever they cost to fix.
- Condition Rating 2 (amber). Repairs that aren’t urgent. Almost every house has a page of them. Budget for them, but they’re rarely a reason to walk.
If the words are the problem, the survey jargon decoder translates them, and what a Condition Rating 3 means goes into the red items in more detail.
A simple decision guide
This is roughly how I’d think about it with a buyer on the phone. It’s a guide, not legal or financial advice.
| What the survey says | Usual next step | Lean towards |
|---|---|---|
| Mostly amber items, typical for the age of the house | Budget for them over the next few years | Go ahead |
| One or two red items with a clear fix (roof covering, rewire, chimney) | Get two independent quotes or a costed schedule | Renegotiate |
| “Further investigation” on drains, electrics, timber or damp | Book the specialist before exchange | Pause, then decide |
| Suspected structural movement | Structural engineer’s report; check insurance (see buying with past subsidence) | Pause, then decide |
| Lender retention or down-valuation | Find out exactly which works the lender wants done (see mortgage retentions) | Renegotiate or pause |
| A problem nobody can price before exchange, or a lender or insurer who won’t proceed | Ask your conveyancer about timing and costs so far | Walk away |
Price it before you decide
A RICS survey tells you what’s wrong. It rarely tells you what it costs, and buyers make bad decisions in that gap. Two made-up examples: one buyer walks away over a chimney repair that might have cost around £900, while another goes ahead without pricing a roof that turns out to need £15,000 of work. Those figures are illustrations, not quotes. Your own jobs could cost more or less.
The HomeOwners Alliance suggests speaking to your surveyor first, then getting at least two quotes from someone impartial, not a tradesperson the seller or agent recommends. For a quick first figure, tick your findings into the RICS survey repair cost calculator. It uses our typical 2026 builder ranges and sorts the work by urgency.
How to renegotiate without losing the house
Your offer is “subject to contract”, so going back with a revised figure is normal. HomeOwners Alliance puts it plainly: there are no rules on how big a discount you can get. It depends on how keen the seller is and how much both sides will compromise. What helps:
- Stick to the urgent items. Red ratings and the results of specialist investigations. Cosmetic and age-related items were visible when you offered.
- Bring evidence, not worry. Survey extracts plus quotes or a costed schedule.
- Offer options. A price reduction, the seller doing a defined repair before exchange, or a split. Your conveyancer should handle how any agreed work is written into the contract.
- Move quickly. Delays make sellers nervous and can push a mortgage offer towards its expiry date.
- Know your number. Decide your walk-away figure before you send anything, and only say you’ll withdraw if you mean it.
A short note to the agent can be as simple as this:
“Our RICS survey has identified [defects, with section numbers]. We’ve had these costed at £[amount] (quotes attached). We’d like to revise our offer from £[old] to £[new] to reflect this. We remain keen to proceed and would be grateful for the seller’s response by [date].”
For more on what’s reasonable to ask for, read how much you can negotiate off after a survey.
When walking away is the right call
There’s no shame in pulling out. That’s what the survey is for. I’d lean towards walking if:
- a specialist can’t give you an answer before your exchange date and the seller won’t wait;
- the lender won’t lend, or will only lend with conditions you can’t meet;
- you can’t get buildings insurance at a price you can live with;
- the urgent work plus your moving costs goes past your budget and the seller won’t move; or
- you’d be buying a project you never wanted.
Before you withdraw, ask your conveyancer what you’ll owe for work done so far. Some firms have “no sale, no fee” terms. Scotland works differently, because a Home Report comes before the offer and missives bind earlier, so take Scottish legal advice there.
Frequently asked questions
Can I pull out of a house purchase after the survey?
Yes. In England and Wales neither buyer nor seller is legally bound until contracts are exchanged, so you can withdraw after a bad survey. You will normally lose what you have already spent, such as the survey, searches and any legal work done so far. After exchange, withdrawing is a breach of contract and you would usually lose your deposit.
Is a bad survey a reason to walk away?
Not on its own. Most RICS surveys on older houses carry a page of amber items. What matters is whether the Condition Rating 3 items and the "further investigation" items can be priced and fixed within your budget, and whether the lender and insurer are still happy. Walk away when a problem cannot be priced before exchange, affects the mortgage or insurance, or costs more than you can fund.
Can I renegotiate the price after a survey?
Yes. Until exchange you can go back to the agent with a revised offer. It works best with evidence: the relevant survey extracts plus at least two independent quotes or a costed schedule. The seller does not have to agree, so decide your walk-away figure before you ask.
Should I ask my surveyor about the report first?
Yes. The HomeOwners Alliance advises asking your surveyor to talk you through the findings, which they should do at no extra cost. The surveyor can tell you what a comment means and what they recommend next. A builder can then tell you what the work is likely to cost.
Does Chat to Your Builder quote for the repairs?
No. Chat to Your Builder is independent builder advice. We review your RICS survey, explain each finding and give realistic repair-cost ranges, but we never quote for or carry out the work, so there is nothing to sell you.
Sources
Free tools that go with this
Translate the report, price the findings, and work out what the whole purchase costs.